Wilsford Manor was built between 1904 and 1906 for Edward Tennant, 1st Baron Glenconner, and his wife Pamela, one of the three daughters of the Hon. Percy Wyndham. The couple commissioned Detmar Blow, a young Arts and Crafts architect and the last disciple of Sir John Ruskin, to build Wilsford after being impressed by Blow’s complete reconstruction of nearby Lake House in 1899. The house evokes aspects of Stockton Manor, which the Tennants had rented, and was built in the spirit of the Arts and Crafts using traditional materials and techniques such as the distinctive flints set in mortar on the facade.
Stephen Tennant, Edward and Pamela’s third son, inherited Wilsford at the age of twenty-three following his father’s death in 1920. He was well known for his flamboyant lifestyle and was considered one of the brightest of the “Bright Young Things” during the 1920s and 1930s. Friends of his who regularly stayed at Wilsford included Rex Whilstler, Cecil Beaton, Siegfried Sassoon, Edith Sitwell and Nancy Mitford. Tennant spent the later years of his life as a recluse at Wilsford, leaving the exteriors of the house overgrown and its interiors as colourful and eccentric as his personality.
Following his death in 1987 the house was bought by the current owners, who carried out extensive restorations to return it to its original appearance as completed in 1906.